Skip to main content

Reality Shows

Reality shows



Here's a show that takes reality shows to a whole new level. 'Breakthrough with Tony Robbins' is a show where Tony Robbins guides people in real life traumas or problems through an extraordinary journey to rediscover themselves and their worth. When I watched the first episode I was mved to tears. I was so happy to see that there are people in this world who selflessly go out of their way to use their talents and skills to fix other people's lives - people they have never even known! Apparently this show got only a 4.8 rating on IMDB, and after its 6th episode the TRP went so low that NBC decided to discontinue it. Here in India, the most nonsensical and pointless reality shows like 'Spitsvilla', 'Roadies', 'Big Boss' and 'Rakhi ka swayamvar' get high TRPs! So why does such a meaningful show like Breakthrough go so low on audience?

Amir Khan's done his own breakthroughs in India with 'Satyamev Jayate', bringing to light some of India's most harsh and truthful realities without any exagerration. At a first glance I thought it was overly dramatic. I was also disappointed by the fact that it was more of a talkshow like 'The Opra Winfrey show' than a travel and documentary show; that's what the promos had got me to expect. After a few episodes I felt it was insightful and quite hard-hitting. Some of the educated classes who watch films might consider it another drama, but guys! compare this to the countless meaningless programs that have aired on channels like Star Plus, MTV, [V] and Colors? btcih please! Also we have not realized that this is meant for the common masses that generally have no awareness about the laws and their human rights! There are things in the show that even I wasn't aware of, being brought up in such an educated society. Amitabh Bachchan got us KBC (a copy of the american show 'Who wants to be a millionaire'), Shah Rukh got the game show 'Kya Aap Paanchvi Pass Se tez hain?' (the indian version of 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader?), Akshay Kumar hosted a badly scripted 'Masterchef India' I think Salman Khan also hosted one such money-making show like 'A minute to win it'.

What is really wrong with people today? Does entertainment mean only funny stuff that is light-hearted and makes you forget about it in an hour? Do we want to be ignorant and heartless? Unfortunately TRPs are not counted by the number of youtube downloads or playbacks. Since I do not have a cable connection and a TV that's the only way I can watch it and share my support for these amazing breakthrough shows.

I urge you to watch shows like Satyamev Jayate, and please increase the shows TRP to encourage the hard efforts of such wonderful producers. Be aware, be helpful and kind, and always empathize! Do you really want to watch more crap like Rodies and Spitsvilla??

Courtesy:
Alok NR for introducing Tony Robbins to me
Wikipedia
IMDB
Youtube (where you will find full free episodes of both the shows - 'Breakthrough with Tony Robbins' and 'Satyamev Jayate')

Comments

Alok said…
Tony Robbins is godawesome.You should listen to his talk on TED too. ! Satyamevajayate is kinda getting better with every episode i feel.that rupiya song at the end of one recent episode was crazy. Dont see why people are after all these millionaire making shows.I guess they want something larger than life i guess,just like how bollywood caters to their fantasy dreams more than reinforce their bleak realities.but thats no excuse for staying ignorant nor for turning a blind eye towards the cruel truths of society.

oh and thanks for the credit btw,hope it increases my blog's TRP ;)
Nikhita P. said…
Well said, and I couldn't agree more. Will check out the TED as soon as possible.

Lol! You don't need my credit anyways.

Popular posts from this blog

Be the change you want to see.

18th April 2016 Arvind and I recently read about the 19 year old who is solving the world’s ocean pollution crisis. Boyan Slat is a Dutch engineering student single handedly developing the gyers (floating booms and processing platforms) which would potentially clean up 20 billion tonnes of plastic from the world's oceans; the plastic which kills millions of animals and damages thousands of cargo vessels every year. Arvind stressed on the fact that he was 19 – he was exceptionally impressed by a kid who showed that much drive, determination and hard work at such a young age. For me, regardless of his age, this was so commendable. The age didn’t matter to me, infact I disagreed with Arvind, and mentioned how adults have it harder to do something for the greater good. Not only are they in a pathetic zone (they have full time jobs!), they also have responsibilities towards their families and are less imaginative and courageous than the youth since they are aware of the hindrances li

The Coconut Seller

9th November 2013       I approached the coconut seller and asked, "how much for one?" "30 for malai wala and 25 for paani wala" "Patli malai wale ke liye kitna?" "30 memsaab", he said.        I asked for one with the thin malai. It was delicious. The first sip from the straw, and images of coconut trees and paddy fields flashed in my mind. Narrow roads and clear skies, palms swaying in the breeze - it cut back to the straw. The water was over. I looked inside the coconut, hoping for more water. "Kahan se laate ho aap?" I asked. "Mysore se. Yaha toh koi nikaalta nahin hai pedh se. Pakh jaate hain." he said. "Aur aap kaha se ho?" "Main Allahabad se" he said, smiling. "Itni door se? Poori family yaha hai?" "Haan ji. Ek flat tha, lekin usme jagaha nahin thi, toh hum bhaade pe reh rahe hain." he said, "aap kaha se ho?" "Main Goa se hoon" I said. He smiled. "Toh a

About Grandfather

26th March 2015 Bad drawing. But drawing nonetheless. My grandfather, 'Deddy' was a very good man. I used to think in his old age that I barely know him. In my growing up years he was already bed ridden. Deddy was the only doctor in our family, n he was a great one. He was an orthopedic surgeon. It was sometime in 2000, that he had fully lost function of the right side of his body and was suddenly paralysed. The deddy I saw after that was a short tempered crabby demanding person, who only seemed to live for his love of food. He would need help to sit up on the bed, bathe and eat. He was like this for 12 years until I was in my 1st year of college and got the call. I wouldn't say I was very close to him, but he did talk to me a lot about his younger days of apprentice, his travels to Britain and his violin. He was very proud of me because I loved sports and he thought I was intelligent because I aced biology. But the reason I loved him was because I had flashes of m