Skip to main content

Moon [2009] Review

13th March 2013

{Spoilers Ahead}

I haven’t seen many Sci Fi movies, but this is definitely one of the best.
The most unique thing that I noticed about this film was how man acts when he is by himself. It had a lot of underlying subtext of loneliness, and our purpose of existence in this life, on earth. I noticed the differences between the two main characters, even though they were the same person with the same memories, showing no two people are the same.

My favourite part of the film was when Sam2 takes Sam1 back to the truck where he found him, proving to be a good guy after all. Sam2 saves his life, and it is Sam1 who takes him to his end. He changed a lot from the start to the end, and his character learnt how to tame his anger and to think and construct the way Sam1 did.


The film starts with Sam2 waking up in the ‘incinerator’, making you feel that he is actually Sam1 saved. I liked the relationship between Sam1 and Sam2 and how they don’t overreact when they realise they look the same. It’s very interesting how their relationship grows. I loved the character of the robot, who was programmed to take care of Sam. I didn’t understand how the director could cheat us into thinking the robot was actually so human inside. Why did the robot give Sam1 the password to access the video logs is still not fully explained, and I guess it’s left for us to interpret – will the robots of the future be more human than humans themselves? A similar concept is used in Blade Runner, where the Nexus are sometimes more human than the people.

Also I loved the entire production design of the film. It was so well planned, and the whole set gave a feeling of being trapped in the only safe habitat for humans on the moon.









What I didn’t understand were – who was the woman who Sam1 saw on the moon who caused his 2 accidents – the truck accident in space, and the hot water accident in the base?
Is this supposed to be a defect in the clone’s inbuilt memory, or is it some part of the clone that is not programmed? These questions are not answered.
The most terribly touching scene was when Sam1 calls home and realizes he is speaking to his daughter. His tone of voice changes when he realises this, and when the daughter’s father calls out, he realises he is truly a clone and had probably never been on earth, since there was already someone there to replace him.
I wonder if the real Sam, (I’m guessing Eve’s dad is the real Sam) knows about his clones in space, and if he agreed to it. I’m guessing he did, and by doing so went completely against what he is shown to be like by his clones.

I loved the film through and through, and I think it’s an absolutely beautiful representation of how fake, inhumane and two-faced our world is, and makes us question – do we really belong here? Is there a reason for us to be here, and would everything function without us?

Comments

Alok said…
hey nix! A very impassioned post about 'moon'! Glad you loved the film so much.
i like your thought-"I wonder if the real Sam, knows about his clones in space, and if he agreed to it. I’m guessing he did, and by doing so went completely against what he is shown to be like by his clones." Its a really interesting idea and makes you wonder more about that character.would make for an excellent sequel too.! Moon is by the way a really classy classic sci-fi film that pays homage to a lot of intellectual sci fi films like 2001 a space odessey and solaris. it doesn't resort to exploding space ships and exciting chase sequences to entertain and is much more meditative n mature. do watch more quality sci fi :)

Popular posts from this blog

Be the change you want to see.

18th April 2016 Arvind and I recently read about the 19 year old who is solving the world’s ocean pollution crisis. Boyan Slat is a Dutch engineering student single handedly developing the gyers (floating booms and processing platforms) which would potentially clean up 20 billion tonnes of plastic from the world's oceans; the plastic which kills millions of animals and damages thousands of cargo vessels every year. Arvind stressed on the fact that he was 19 – he was exceptionally impressed by a kid who showed that much drive, determination and hard work at such a young age. For me, regardless of his age, this was so commendable. The age didn’t matter to me, infact I disagreed with Arvind, and mentioned how adults have it harder to do something for the greater good. Not only are they in a pathetic zone (they have full time jobs!), they also have responsibilities towards their families and are less imaginative and courageous than the youth since they are aware of the hindrances li

The Coconut Seller

9th November 2013       I approached the coconut seller and asked, "how much for one?" "30 for malai wala and 25 for paani wala" "Patli malai wale ke liye kitna?" "30 memsaab", he said.        I asked for one with the thin malai. It was delicious. The first sip from the straw, and images of coconut trees and paddy fields flashed in my mind. Narrow roads and clear skies, palms swaying in the breeze - it cut back to the straw. The water was over. I looked inside the coconut, hoping for more water. "Kahan se laate ho aap?" I asked. "Mysore se. Yaha toh koi nikaalta nahin hai pedh se. Pakh jaate hain." he said. "Aur aap kaha se ho?" "Main Allahabad se" he said, smiling. "Itni door se? Poori family yaha hai?" "Haan ji. Ek flat tha, lekin usme jagaha nahin thi, toh hum bhaade pe reh rahe hain." he said, "aap kaha se ho?" "Main Goa se hoon" I said. He smiled. "Toh a

About Grandfather

26th March 2015 Bad drawing. But drawing nonetheless. My grandfather, 'Deddy' was a very good man. I used to think in his old age that I barely know him. In my growing up years he was already bed ridden. Deddy was the only doctor in our family, n he was a great one. He was an orthopedic surgeon. It was sometime in 2000, that he had fully lost function of the right side of his body and was suddenly paralysed. The deddy I saw after that was a short tempered crabby demanding person, who only seemed to live for his love of food. He would need help to sit up on the bed, bathe and eat. He was like this for 12 years until I was in my 1st year of college and got the call. I wouldn't say I was very close to him, but he did talk to me a lot about his younger days of apprentice, his travels to Britain and his violin. He was very proud of me because I loved sports and he thought I was intelligent because I aced biology. But the reason I loved him was because I had flashes of m