Skip to main content

Little Italy



17th August 2012


Today we went to a small place by FC road called Little Italy. I first went there when it had newly opened in Goa; probably in 2000 or 2001. At the time I had never tasted Italian food in my life, and I don’t even remember tasting it. 

In 2011 we went to Italy on a family vacation. It was one of the most beautiful countries I’ve ever seen. I’d say it’s my favourite amongst all the places I’ve visited.  I had never really enjoyed Italian food before I went to Italy. I found pastas too heavy, fatty and bland, and the pizzas I’d tasted at Dominos (the first and only pizza joint in Goa) were so dry and had such thick bread and less vegies that I had a strong disregard for Italian food. 

Of course when I came to Pune for MIT, I tried some delicious Italian pastas at good restaraunts, although I was still not fond of all the pizzas after trying local pizzas as well as the popular pizza brands like Dominos, Pizza hut, Smokin’ Joes and Papa Jones. Maybe I’d just ordered the wrong ones. When I am home I often experiment with different types of pastas, their sauces, herbs and vegies. Most of the time they turn out pretty nice, and I’ve gotten a hang of cooking it. Al dente. ;)
Now I hadn’t had great Italian since Italy, and I had given up eating Italian food in India, until my sister Raina decided to take us to Little Italy in Pune, today. I don’t know if this restaurant was under the same management as the one I dined at in Goa 13 years ago; but it was infinitely more memorable. When we got there, there was Valet parking. “This is fancy?” I said to Raina. “Yeah! Haven’t you come here before?” she asked. I shook my head and we went to claim our reserved table in the open air section. The place was packed!


We didn’t get a great place, it was in the corner with dim lighting; so we shifted to a table ahead.
We ordered Sangria port wine (which was nice, but a little too sweet for my liking). For the food, Pasta Perivama (red sauce with sundried tomatoes, olives, zucchini, broccoli, capers), Pasta Barcalava (white sauce pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, basil and broccoli), and two delicious wood burnt pizzas (cottage cheese, coriander, capsicum, tomato and parmesan) and the other (sun-dried tomatoes, basic, mushroom and parmesan). The menu was completely out of the world. I smelled the delicious aromas and it was so beautiful to look at while being served. Every bite I took was taking me on a trip. My taste buds were having an orgasm. The flavours were so popping and so well combined, I was blown away. First I had the pastas and then the pizza, and I ended with the delicious wood burnt thin crusts. 

My family was enjoying the food too, with good conversation, but I was in another world. I was quiet, and I couldn’t help but stay with the food. I think I went to Italy and came back. When I took the last bite, I was so content, so happy and elated, I didn’t even want to drink water, for it would wash down the taste. My parents and aunt looked at me in amusement, enjoying my quiet ride to heaven. I did a small gesture of touching the feet of the chef (something we Indians do out of respect and love). I shook my head in a loss of words. My family laughed cheerfully. 

After a paid the bill, we sat there for a few minutes and then decided to leave. My parents waited near the car, but I couldn’t leave without saying thanks. I told the waiter to pay my compliments to the chef. I wish I could do it personally, but I guess they were having a busy night. He told me to wait, and came back with a feedback form. I wrote a comment, “Thank-you so much for the wonderful food. Every bite was worth it and took me to Italy. It was perfect.”  The waiter smiled, said thanks and went off to give it to the chef. (There is more than one reason why Ratatouille is my favourite 3D Animated feature) I wish more people looked at the finer aspects of eating great food.

My friend, Ishan understands and appreciates food the way I do. He may not stare at it for that long, but he loves food the way I do. He quoted once, “Food is the highest form of art one ever made. It involves all the human senses – we hear, we smell, we see, we touch, and we taste.” Touché, Ishan.

Comments

The Hearthstone said…
*drools* :).. food done right..makes you happy like nothing else..

Popular posts from this blog

Be the change you want to see.

18th April 2016 Arvind and I recently read about the 19 year old who is solving the world’s ocean pollution crisis. Boyan Slat is a Dutch engineering student single handedly developing the gyers (floating booms and processing platforms) which would potentially clean up 20 billion tonnes of plastic from the world's oceans; the plastic which kills millions of animals and damages thousands of cargo vessels every year. Arvind stressed on the fact that he was 19 – he was exceptionally impressed by a kid who showed that much drive, determination and hard work at such a young age. For me, regardless of his age, this was so commendable. The age didn’t matter to me, infact I disagreed with Arvind, and mentioned how adults have it harder to do something for the greater good. Not only are they in a pathetic zone (they have full time jobs!), they also have responsibilities towards their families and are less imaginative and courageous than the youth since they are aware of the hindrances li

The Coconut Seller

9th November 2013       I approached the coconut seller and asked, "how much for one?" "30 for malai wala and 25 for paani wala" "Patli malai wale ke liye kitna?" "30 memsaab", he said.        I asked for one with the thin malai. It was delicious. The first sip from the straw, and images of coconut trees and paddy fields flashed in my mind. Narrow roads and clear skies, palms swaying in the breeze - it cut back to the straw. The water was over. I looked inside the coconut, hoping for more water. "Kahan se laate ho aap?" I asked. "Mysore se. Yaha toh koi nikaalta nahin hai pedh se. Pakh jaate hain." he said. "Aur aap kaha se ho?" "Main Allahabad se" he said, smiling. "Itni door se? Poori family yaha hai?" "Haan ji. Ek flat tha, lekin usme jagaha nahin thi, toh hum bhaade pe reh rahe hain." he said, "aap kaha se ho?" "Main Goa se hoon" I said. He smiled. "Toh a

Messed up 48 hours.

28th June 2013 So I've had a terrible 3 days here. I realised my Sc. 5 was accidentally missing from my Film Folder, and when it hit me that my last backup was a March backup that had 2 months of work done after that, I was feeling absolutely broken-hearted. I didn't know if it was worth continuing this film. I was drowning in sorrow at the thought of having to do all that work again. I googled it, got a few recovery softwares that mostly hung and some showed some files I wasn't looking for. I called a good friend who suggested two good data-recovery softwares. 'Wondershare', the best one I'd tried took 12 hours to scan my PC for all the files that were deleted from my Recycle bin. It didn't have it. At 3 am I decided to give up. It was gone. I tried to get over it and move on as quickly as possible. I could not afford to give up now. It would be like dropping out of college in your final year. I was on the verge of finishing the film, and would probabl