Skip to main content

Thoughts on Motivation

17th July 2018

What motivates us?


To answer the first, it's easy to think of the generic statements:
Art, culture, other artists, music, people, life experiences, nature etc. But honestly, it seems like a real task to stay motivated. To stay focused. To achieve 'flow' i.e: being in the zone.
Today I felt a slight tingling warmth, a small burst of excitement. I couldn't point out to what it was, but I felt a vague sense of motivation.
      I haven't done anything differently today. Why was I feeling motivated?
Last night I watched Anurag Kashyap and Kalki's interview on TapeCast. He mentioned how he has stopped evaluating himself and comparing himself to other film makers. Whether he's great, or mediocre; instead he is focusing on just doing. Expressing, creating, failing and succeeding.
It's not something I haven't heard before - me and Polo discussed the other day how it's the age of doers and not thinkers. Everyone has ideas today, but not everyone has the time, patience and energy to do it. It's the executers who succeed. However when I watched the interview, I asked myself -
"Film maker's create so many more films in their lifetime than animators. They tell so many more stories. Why is that?"
"Because Animation Film making is a much more laborious process."
"Well then what about shortfilms? Those are more doable, why don't we create more of those?"
     I guess the only thing stopping me is my lack of motivation - to see things through. The thought that there is nothing stopping me from creating films was really motivating. I just had to stick it up and see it through the end.
     This morning was quite productive, and doing a few colourscripts motivated me to do more. I guess motivation comes in bursts, and when it does, you need to use it to the fullest, push away distractions and achieve the most you possibly can. When you see your accomplishments, it only helps you stay more motivated to push and see your projects through. Collaborating with people takes it one step further. To have someone else bounce back the ideas, and help you in execution only pushes the project further.
     But what would help someone stay motivated for a longer period of time, rather than in short bursts like I felt today? I'd like to explore that. Possibly, practicing genuine happiness for other artists' successes can help. Learning a new skill, like software can create curiosity, which also helps in motivating us. Being in the practice of doing short drawing challenges online in artist groups can help, and motivate one to continue doing more. The best feeling is that of complete focus - being so engrossed in an activity that all else becomes white noise. If you feel that even once in the day, I think you'd be on your way to lasting motivation.


More about Flow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be the change you want to see.

18th April 2016 Arvind and I recently read about the 19 year old who is solving the world’s ocean pollution crisis. Boyan Slat is a Dutch engineering student single handedly developing the gyers (floating booms and processing platforms) which would potentially clean up 20 billion tonnes of plastic from the world's oceans; the plastic which kills millions of animals and damages thousands of cargo vessels every year. Arvind stressed on the fact that he was 19 – he was exceptionally impressed by a kid who showed that much drive, determination and hard work at such a young age. For me, regardless of his age, this was so commendable. The age didn’t matter to me, infact I disagreed with Arvind, and mentioned how adults have it harder to do something for the greater good. Not only are they in a pathetic zone (they have full time jobs!), they also have responsibilities towards their families and are less imaginative and courageous than the youth since they are aware of the hindrances li

The Coconut Seller

9th November 2013       I approached the coconut seller and asked, "how much for one?" "30 for malai wala and 25 for paani wala" "Patli malai wale ke liye kitna?" "30 memsaab", he said.        I asked for one with the thin malai. It was delicious. The first sip from the straw, and images of coconut trees and paddy fields flashed in my mind. Narrow roads and clear skies, palms swaying in the breeze - it cut back to the straw. The water was over. I looked inside the coconut, hoping for more water. "Kahan se laate ho aap?" I asked. "Mysore se. Yaha toh koi nikaalta nahin hai pedh se. Pakh jaate hain." he said. "Aur aap kaha se ho?" "Main Allahabad se" he said, smiling. "Itni door se? Poori family yaha hai?" "Haan ji. Ek flat tha, lekin usme jagaha nahin thi, toh hum bhaade pe reh rahe hain." he said, "aap kaha se ho?" "Main Goa se hoon" I said. He smiled. "Toh a

About Grandfather

26th March 2015 Bad drawing. But drawing nonetheless. My grandfather, 'Deddy' was a very good man. I used to think in his old age that I barely know him. In my growing up years he was already bed ridden. Deddy was the only doctor in our family, n he was a great one. He was an orthopedic surgeon. It was sometime in 2000, that he had fully lost function of the right side of his body and was suddenly paralysed. The deddy I saw after that was a short tempered crabby demanding person, who only seemed to live for his love of food. He would need help to sit up on the bed, bathe and eat. He was like this for 12 years until I was in my 1st year of college and got the call. I wouldn't say I was very close to him, but he did talk to me a lot about his younger days of apprentice, his travels to Britain and his violin. He was very proud of me because I loved sports and he thought I was intelligent because I aced biology. But the reason I loved him was because I had flashes of m